SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

ip Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberiaWiFi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:29 pm    
Post subject: ip Advice

I could use firstspot's advice here:

we have several access points. All have a static IP themselves (say 10.20.7.3,4,5, etc)

Our long range access point is on the roof of the facility. It allows CPE devices (Basiaclly amplified long range ant/wNIC cards all in one) to connect to our network.

The CPE's themselves can take a static IP or use dchp. Normally this is fine when hooking JUST one PC up to it at the customers' end.

I would like to put a simple HUB on the CPE end, and then hook that to the CPE. Hence, maybe 4 or 5 PCs could be connected to the one antenna. The trbl is this: Do i give the CPE a static IP or let firstspot assign it one using DCHP. If i use DCHP (from firspot to the CPE) would the remote PCs still get a ip from Firstspot? Would the CPE need to LOGIN to firspot somehow or would it appear ivisible to the network and let the PCs login like they normally would?

FYI: I have given it a static ip, and have a hub there now, but could only get it to work by giving the client PCs static ips too...and when ONE pc is logged in to firstspot, the other PCs can use the web without logging in.

Thanks for any advice. 2.1 is working GREAT! I lOVE the paypal interface option....our WiFi is actually making money when were not even open at the cybercafe! It's great!
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:08 pm    
Post subject:

Whether you use FirstSpot DHCP or Static IP should not affect FirstSpot operation. The problem you are having (when 1 PC logged on, the other PC can use the web without logging on) is that there is a router between the client and FirstSpot (maybe the CPE?). The solution is that you need to use IP-based session handling or eliminate the router from the network. Keep in mind that IP-based session handling is a feature in the Advanced Edition (see http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/buy_now.html for details)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: