SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Configuration question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibTech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:30 am    
Post subject: Configuration question

I downloaded the demo version and am having trouble getting it to work with my wireless network.

Here is how I have it set up:

I have FirstSpot installed on a desktop computer with 2 nics. NIC1 is connected to our wired network. NIC2 is connected to the ethernet port of a wireless router (Linksys BEFSR41). 3 access points are connected to the router. With this configuration I cannot get anywhere on the Internet with a laptop via the wireless connection. I can't even get the login page for FirstSpot.

But my test worked. For my test, I ran a cat5 cable between the laptop and NIC2. I got the login screen, and the software seemed to work the way it is supposed to.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong when I try to make this "live"?

Thanks for your help. I think this is the product that will give us the control we want over our network, but I have to get it to work first.
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:21 am    
Post subject:

Sounds your FirstSpot was setup correctly as it works when connecting your client machine to NIC2 (or what we call private nic) by cross-over cable.

I assume you've correctly connected NIC2 to the LAN port (instead of WAN port) of your wireless router? Likewise for other APs too? [As you know, this is similar to connecting all APs and NIC2 through a switch/hub; and you do not need the WAN port of the wireless router]

If so, when you connect wirelessly, can you get an IP from FirstSpot's DHCP server? When you do an "ipconfig /all" command from your client machine, is the default gateway address pointing to NIC2?

If not, please make sure you have turned off *ALL OTHER* DHCP servers on your wireless APs/ router.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
LibTech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:51 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks! That solved the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: