SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Considering Purchase... a few questions first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:55 pm    
Post subject: Considering Purchase... a few questions first.

I am the owner of a business and we have 2 wireless hotspots. At this time they are uncontrolled, free hotspots... just connect and go. I understand, however, that I am placing myself in a liable position by not providing some sort of security. Will this software secure my hotspots so that one user cannot steal another's information?

Also, one of my hotspots is set up as follows. Cable modem connected to Netgear wireless router (acting as AP). Also hardwired to the router are 3 business computers which need to be networked. As you can see, I am leaving my business wide open as well. Will this software secure my data (which include sensitive customer information)? If so, what would the physical setup look like? What equipment will I need for this hotspot?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:55 pm    
Post subject:

1) Partially - Our Client isolation feature will prevent client PC from seeing each other in "My Network Places". FirstSpot can also surf up SSL-enabled login page.

Note that client PC can still potentially sniff other client's traffic (even WEP does not solve this). Our experience is that FirstSpot is a reasonable trade-off between security and ease-of-use for a majority of hotspots.

2) You can setup your network like this:

Client -> Netgear AP -> FirstSpot -> Router/Cable Modem (#1) -> Internet
Your business computers -> NAT/Router/Firewall (#2) -^

(you might be able to "save" #2 by setting up correct routing rules in #1, but it is not recommeded for the faint of heart)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:25 pm    
Post subject: Thanks!

This also helped me out in our situation, or gives me a more secure feeling on using it on our system/setup.

Tim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: