SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

RADIUS supprt and VPN client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpresto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:50 am    
Post subject: RADIUS supprt and VPN client

Hi all,
two questions on new FirstSpot 3.0.

- RADIUS -
In the new 3.0 release RADIUS support has been added, but only Microsoft IAS and Funk SteelBelted radius are mentioned. Does this mean that ONLY these two radius are supported? This sounds strange to me because RADIUS is a standard. My network architecture includes freeRADIUS+ openLDAP for AAA and user profiles data storage, may I use FirstSpot with them?

-VPN CLIENT-
Remote connection to a hotspot from the NOC is sometimes difficult due to the lack of a connection with a public IP fixed address at the location.
Does FirstSpot includes a VPN client? If not, is such a solution in roadmap?This will allow to connect with a VPN server in the NOC without the need to have a public fixed IP address at every location, because the "call" to the VPN server starts from the location. This will allow to:
- reach the entire remote location (even if access points) from a centralized NOC for administrative/management tasks (configuration changes, etc...)
- split (and secure) the management traffic from teh location to the NOC (smnp, radius, syslog) from the "normal" Internet traffic generated by users into the location
- reach the RADIUS server also from location without a public IP fixed address: the NAS has to be a known IP address to be registered on the RADIUS server

Thank you in advance for any information,
Regards,
Carlo
Craig Hastings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:09 pm    
Post subject: RADIUS supprt and VPN client

Radius Support, it should work with any standard RADIUS server, what they are saying is they have tested it with the names you mentioned. Best to Try it out.

VPN client. Windows 2000/xp has a VPN clinet built in all ready have you tried working with that? It works pretty well, however I can't tell you if it works with first spot or not you will need to try it. I am using a hardware based VPN solution in front of first spot as both a VPN and a firewall this way I can access the system from anywhere.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:48 am    
Post subject:

1) We only support Microsoft IAS and Funk SteelBelted Radius at this moment. RADIUS standard is not as strigent as many people have hoped, so other RADIUS server may not work.

2) No, FirstSpot is completely web-based and we don't have plan to include a VPN client at this moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: