SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

mysql ODBC connection to internet database not correct beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rnygren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:33 pm    
Post subject: mysql ODBC connection to internet database not correct beta

I have installed 3.51 my sql ODBC on the same machine as Firstspot beta 3.0. When i try to install a file dsn it fails saying invalid configuration. This is because the myslq database in on the internet host not my local machine. when I create a odbc connection as a user or system it connects to the internet mysql database with the test button. I have created objects out there. The user and system connections do not create a dsn file (must be in registry) When I put the name of the connection in the first spot odbc (name without path which was there before) win I go to the auth server page i get the error dsn file not found.)

PS previous posting for authorizenet.com CC processing has still had no respose from reccomended email for 5 days. info@patronsoft.com
What other method can I communicate to you guys?
Thanks
Ray
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:07 am    
Post subject:

Using file DSN should work without problem when connecting to a remote MySQL database. We have numerous customers have that setup and working. We've tested that in our lab as well. Please check if permission/ username&password are set up correctly on the MySQL server.

Please be reminded that the MySQL ODBC driver has to be installed on the FirstSpot machine, even your MySQL server is installed remotely. The ODBC drivers instruct how the FirstSpot machine talk to a remote MySQL server through the ODBC protocol. Please refer to page 40 of our documentation.

For the Authorize.net questions, as our team is updating the documentation for the final build, we can answer the questions as soon as we have the latest (correct) information available.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:19 am    
Post subject: ODBC Driver for MYsql

You software is documented as needing a dsn file which is what it uses for the d-base files on the intall (ODBC-dbase) I installed the MYsql driver. when I tried to set up the connection to mysql using the odbc tab for a dsn file (not user or system tabs) it wont allow that type of odbc connection, It does allow however a user and system type ODBC connector. This connections do work when tested within the ODBC wizard. The dsn type ODBC is created but instead of giving me a set of fields for the hostname username password and database it say that the configuration is incorrect. I am using XP pro with service pack1. If someone can give me a copy on an expamle dsn file maybe I can get around this problem. I looked at the file and it contains only:
[ODBC]
DRIVER=MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver

And when you try to edit it says invalid file dsn. I also noticed that the options for the dsn edit tab include directories. Like I said in my earlier question MYSQL needs either a system or user type ODBC connection using the MYSQL ODBC driver version 3.51. When I put the name of the system or user MQSQL instead of the full path
c:\program files\firspot\datasource\firstpot.dsn

I replace it with my user ODBC connection (tahoestudio) There is no dsn file created for system or user ODBC connections. I looked in the registry and the proper values are there like driver c:\windows\system32\myodbc3.dll

The registry format is completly different then the dsn file format. It looks like you only support this dsn type connection (local flat files). If you do support mysql your user manual is incorrect or I am completly off base. After 30 years as a senior technical expert I dont think I am out to lunch.

what would really help is if you could supply me with either the version of the MQSQL dirvet that supports a DSN format or maybe an example dsn file so I could manually put in my specific entries. Since I am not aware of any other dirvers, It also moght be a bug in the BETA product only (an oversight,). Since it seems that the search for a dsn file seems to be hardcoded in the system. (I enter in the ODBC connection name and I get the error "Unable to find dsn file")
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:21 am    
Post subject:

Please clarify:

Can you successfully test the connection using ODBC wizard when creating a File DSN?

If not, that doesn't relate to FirstSpot at all.

If yes, what're the errors you see inside FirstSpot Configuration Manager?

We just did a simple test on an XP machine installed with ODBC driver 3.5.1 (same as yours). It connects to an MySQL database on the Internet without any problem.

The below is the content of the DSN generated by the ODBC Wizard:

[ODBC]
DRIVER=MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver
UID=mysql_username
STMT=
OPTION=
SOCKET=
PORT=
PASSWORD=password
SERVER=server_name.com
DATABASE=database_name
DESC=

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:05 am    
Post subject: ODBC for my sql

You were right. After I used your template for the DSN file the connection to MYSQL worked. The bug is in the ODBC manager wizard for creating a DSN fiule to MQSQL.
Thanks
Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: