SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

<Firstspot-Nat> or <windows-build-in Nat>?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medzoom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm    
Post subject: <Firstspot-Nat> or <windows-build-in Nat>?

1)
Under NAT you can configure under <selected module> the <windows built-in NAT> and <FirstSpot NAT>.

What will be the more performant version? Will the Windows-Build-In-NAT will only work on WindowsXP? I have a new WinServer 2012? Will that works?

2)
I am thinking to activate the "Real IP Address mapping" and this feature is only available under <windows Build-in-NAT>, though sometimes I discovers problems with a pass-tru IPSEC-session of some clients?

Or is the "Real IP Address mapping" is an "old" feature?

best regards

medzoom
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 am    
Post subject:

1) Windows NAT works in all Windows Server version plus Windows XP. Note that the latest FirstSpot v8.1.x doesn't support Windows XP anymore. To use Windows XP, you need to use FirstSpot v8.0.15 instead.

2) Your IPSEC problem might be related to NAT in general. You might need to turn off NAT completely. "Real IP Address mapping" should still work under Windows NAT.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 am    
Post subject:

I will try to disable NAT and will check if its better then.
medzoom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 pm    
Post subject:

I still have some "understand-questions".

1)
what is the best way to config as router? has someone a documentation for me?

2)
will the firstspot still be a proxy and all the traffic still transfered over the Firstspot?
=> for the client the firstspot will still a "gateway" and "DNS-Server"?

3) can i block some ip-adresses when firstspots acts als router?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:39 pm    
Post subject:

1) It is different for every router. The terminologies will be something like static route, return route, etc...

2) FirstSpot is not a proxy but rather it is a router (without NAT) in this case. So yes, FirstSpot Visitor side IP should still be the "default gateway" and "DNS" for the client devices.

3) You can try our feature "IP Block List". Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information. Note that you need to restart FirstSpot after making this change.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am    
Post subject:

Dear Alan,

Coming back to my IPSEC-problem, I already activated the "disabled NAT"-Mode and watched it now for a month or so. The usual traffic works well - I dont get complains about errors or missfunctions.

I still have problems with IPSEC-tunnel. The usual IPSEC usage (check emails, write emails etc) works, but when I transfers over IPSEC hugh amount of data (f.e. pictures over 5 MB), the IPSEC-tunnel collapse immediately (within a second!).

When I do the same "uploadprocedure" on my private WLAN at home or via UMTS/LTE, it works without colapsing the tunnel?

Have you an idea, what this could cause?

medzoom
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 am    
Post subject:

Except for In-Browser Message, FirstSpot itself doesn't touch the packets at all after the user login. You can try to disable the In-Browser Message, and then restart FirstSpot to see whether it makes any difference.

If after this change you still have problem, most likely it is due to your network. In particular, check the bandwidth of your network, and any other NAT that might interfere with your VPN operations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: