SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

using separate dhcp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:25 am    
Post subject: using separate dhcp

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an captive portal in an existing wlan network in our company. I downloaded your trial version at it seems that it fulfil al our requirements except one.

To provide the internet to our wlan network we use an router with integrated dhcp. Our wlan access points are connected with this router and all clients connecting with the access points get there IP from the router/dhcp.

We're using several VLAN in a trunk to provide the needed VLAN's to several switches. Also the wlan access points are connected to several switches and have there own VLAN. So I have to use our existing router/dhcp to assign the IP address to the clients.

I tried to deactivate the FirstSpot dhcp server to get the IP from our own router/dhcp but it didn't work. The clients are still getting an IP from FirstStop. How can I configure FirstStop to work with our current router/dhcp? For us the topologie must be router/dhcp -> FirstStop -> AccessPoints/Clients.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:44 am    
Post subject:

Normally, DHCP server works as broadcast mechanism. As FirstSpot is a router itself, it is hard to have the DHCP traffic routes through FirstSpot back-and-forth (unless you use setup DHCP relay).

Theoretically, you can enable DHCP relay within the FirstSpot machine. But you need to turn off FirstSpot DHCP server under Configuration Manager -> DHCP first as there will be port conflict. And you need to make sure FirstSpot DNS is used for the client as it is used to resolve login page URL "firstspot.org".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:56 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you for your responce.

Is there an integrated solution for this in FirstStop or should I use the DHCP Relay Agent from Windows Server?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:32 pm    
Post subject:

You need to use the DHCP Relay Agent from Windows Server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: