SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Network configuration cuestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:12 pm    
Post subject: Network configuration cuestion

Hello,

I'm in a company and I'm trying to deploy firstspot demo on the existant network to give Wifi acces to the employees using their Active Directory account.

I have a problem on how to setup the Firstspot server (actually a virtual server running on Serv1)

Should I let the wifi AP in the same subnet and put the second card of the firstspot server in the same network too like this.

Or should I declare a new subnet dedicated to the AP and the devices connected to the hotspot (knowing the wireless devices should acces the server on the 192.168.10.x subnet).

Thank you.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:04 pm    
Post subject:

Your second case looks more feasible. Please note that followings:

1) FirstSpot needs to sit in the outgoing path of the client Internet access

2) As FirstSpot has its own DHCP server and AP is only used as bridge (instead of router), there is really no need to set IP in the AP (except for administrative purpose)

3) Please check out http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/topologies.html for examples of FirstSpot topologies

4) For Active Directory, you can use FirstSpot RADIUS Authentication Mode with Microsoft IAS/NPS. Refer to http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1175 for more information.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 pm    
Post subject:

I managed to make it work with the second configuration indeed.

But i can't use the AP on bridge mode since the server is virtual and don't have a physical interface (plus we may deploy severals AP in distants localisations if your solution satisify our needs).

Next step to try, Radius support Wink
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm    
Post subject:

Since FirstSpot works in the TCP/IP level, from FirstSpot point of view wired and wireless clients are the same. You don't really need to explicitly set "bridge mode" within your AP. All you need to do is to make sure "WAN port" in your AP is NOT used.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am    
Post subject:

Ok, I understand what you meant by bridge mode.

I'm facing a new problem. When I connect a device already recorded by firstspot, it take a 192.168.10.x ip directly, without the firstspot login/server step.

It seems like the dhcp server is bypassing the firstpot dhcp and the devices is recorded directly in our 10.x subnet.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 am    
Post subject:

Most likely there is another DHCP server in your visitor network. You may need to use sniffing tool like Wireshark to double-check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: