SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Limited time free access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuckoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:58 pm    
Post subject: Limited time free access

Installing the program and getting it to work was a breeze.

But setting up access the way we would like it, turns out to be a bigger issue.
We want to give our guests free access for a number of minutes (15) every few (3) hours, and also use a shared secret.
I mean, from the moment a guest accesses the hotspot, he gets access for 15 minutes; after these 15 minutes he gets blocked for 3 hours. After these 3 hours he will be able to get access again for 15 minutes, etc.

I tried changing the free access plan in such a way that the conditon to suspend the account was set to "After 15 Minute(s)".

I then tried several options in the Authentication Server setup, but can't find a way to have the user account suspended after 15 minutes.
It seems I cannot use either of the "Anonymous Options", because then the free access plan seems to be ineffective.
Using "Username/Password" and "Free Access Only" does give access, but the user account doesn't get suspended after 15 minutes.

Maybe I'm missing something simple, but having spent hours to try and figure this out, including searching this forum, I'm at a point where I could do with some help.

Please let me know if the setup we want is possible, and if so, how to achieve it. Otherwise, could you make a suggestion for an alternative setup that comes close?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:05 am    
Post subject:

You can just FirstSpot API to change the user attribute periodically. E.g. run the below command in the Windows Task Scheduler:

fsapi update_usr_attributes username=* timeleft=15

Refer to chapter 10 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks for your quick reply.

Does your answer mean that indeed it isn't possible to give an anonymous user (with or without shared secret) access for a timeslot of 15 minutes and then suspend that user for 3 hours?

What we are trying to achieve is the following: in our bar/cafe we do want to give guests anonymous access to the internet, but we want to limit their time, so we don't turn our place into an internet cafe and loose interaction in the bar because too many guests are in their own (internet) world.

The free access option with the free access plan seems to offer this possibillity, but am I right in assuming that the free access plan is only active for username/password users?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:42 am    
Post subject:

The FirstSpot API method (I suggest above) and Free Access only work with username/password login option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: