SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Have you ignored a potential new customer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
innkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:22 pm    
Post subject: Have you ignored a potential new customer?

Sorry for the confrontational subject title, but I really need some info and I have gone through the trouble of registering on this forum to get answers. I thought I had posted my questions properly. If not, I apologize.

This time I will make my question very simple. Is your software compatible with the Cradlepoint ARC MBR1400 router, using the "hotspot" feature?

If I can get an answer to that question, I will repeat my questions from the first post that got nowhere.

DM
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm    
Post subject:

While FirstSpot is hardware neutral, it needs to work with device with Wi-Fi and 3G/4G seperated. FirstSpot sits between the client device and Internet connections. E.g.

client -> Wi-Fi AP -> FirstSpot -> Internet (e.g. direct Broadband, ADSL modem, 3G/4G device).

Please check out http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/topologies.html for examples of FirstSpot topology.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm    
Post subject:

Dear Alan:

Sorry, I am not a tech type person. Help me understand your reply! I loooked at the topology links you suggested but still don't quite understand (BTW, at least for my Windows 7 Pro machine, the "enlarge" link for the pictures on topology does not load).

Not sure if you are familiar with Cradlepoint MBR1400 router, but it has integrated 3/4G modem which, in my case, is using a Verizon SIM card. I get my internet through this device using Verizon Wireless 4G LTE. I am in a rural area with no cable or DSL service, so this is my only (good) choice for true high speed Internet.

I am using the Cradlepoint router as a wireless-only solution. It has one network for us, the innkeepers at a B&B, and another "guest" wireless network which we have set up as a hotspot for our guests to use.

The problem is, Verizon limits the data we can use in any given month, so we must in turn limit our three B&B guest rooms to 250MB per day per room. When a guest exceeds that, we'd like that guest to be directed to a page that will offer extra data for a fee.

So, my first question is still, "Will my Cradlepoint router work with your system?" And next, "Can you manage our hotspot as described in the above paragraph?"

Thanks for your patience with this non-techhie innkeeper!

Don M
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 am    
Post subject:

Not ideally. FirstSpot needs two separate devices (AP and 3/4G) to function. You can still use the device you mentioned, but you can only use one function (e.g. 3/4G) while you need to purchase an additional AP.

As for the our topology web page, we re-test it and it should work. Alternatively, just use the following link instead:

http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/network1.html

Last edited by alan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
innkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm    
Post subject:

Okay, thanks. Looks like your service is not going to meet my needs. Thanks for your explanation. Don
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:49 pm    
Post subject:

Actually, as far as I understand, almost all "standalone" hotspot management system needs to sit between AP and your actual Internet connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: