SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Throttle after user quota exceeded

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmatch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 am    
Post subject: Throttle after user quota exceeded

I have what I believe to be a common request for a hotspot service, and I think FirstSpot can do it, but so far I cannot figure out how. I want each user to be able to login, and have 2Mbps upload and download throttle until they have used up, say, 200MB, and then they alone will get throttled down to 512Kbps up and down. Is this possible? If so, how?

The idea is to have a free service for the casual users, but for the people who want to watch movies or whatever, they will need to upgrade to a paid service. But rather than turning them off completely, they will be throttled down to a slow speed until they pay for a faster account type.

Thank you in advance for you kind reply.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 am    
Post subject:

Yes, FirstSpot can do that through the "Restricted account" user attribute. You can then set the "throttled down" throttling value at the Global Bandwidth Throttling under Disptacher (Main).

Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more details.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you for the reply. I should have stated that I already read that chapter, and already tried those settings. I must have something wrong, because it isn't working. What I need is the exact settings to make the above happen.

Success will determine purchasing several FirstSpots, but I have to verify, through doing it, that this will indeed work.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:22 pm    
Post subject:

What version of FirstSpot are you currently using?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 pm    
Post subject:

The current version I just downloaded, v7.0.3.

Also, if I can get this to work, then I need each user's total quota reset at 12:00pm each day so they'll go back to full speed and start counting towards their new daily quota again. I can't see where to set this time for reset. Would I need to run some utility from Windows Task Scheduler to accomplish this daily quota reset at noon?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:22 am    
Post subject:

We re-test "Restricted Account" again and it works okay. Please make sure:

1) you set Bandwidth Throttling (global setting) to a smaller value (e.g. 10) so that it is easier for you to notice the slow down. Please restart FirstSpot after making any changes

2) for user quota, set download say, 1000KBytes. So after the download quota is used up, FirstSpot throttle this particular user

If you still have issue, before restarting FirstSpot, please post your firstspot_gw_srv_(timestamp).log under FirstSpot\log directory. You should see the text "User Account was changed to limited account"

To reset quota a midnight, you can use FirstSpot API resetquota. Refer to chapter 10 of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: