SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Firstspot as a transparent proxy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanslimmon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:35 pm    
Post subject: Firstspot as a transparent proxy?

Hello, i'm wondering if I can use Firstspot in a transparent proxy type situation. I am wanting the clients to get real IP addresses (not private NAT) so they can access the internet, but I still want to limit their access (ie. they still have to login.

To do this I'm going to vlan the interface so that they will have to use the private side NIC to get to the public side, and I'm still using the firstspot server as a dhcp server.

Scenario:
[Default Router] - [Firstspot Server] - (clients)

So the router will have an IP on the same subnet as the server and clients. So can I have the first spot server act as a switch/bridge between the networks?

Otherwise I'll have to use small subnet and make the firstspot public <> default router have their own routed network, then make the "private side" interface on firstspot the default gateway for the clients.

Can I do either of these scenarios?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot needs to act as a router. It cannot act as a bridge.

We have a bit of difficulties visualizing your suggestion. But one way to achieve your requirements is to simply disable FirstSpot NAT, and then have your [Default Router] to map real IP to client IP. Note that you can reduce the IP pool size that FirstSpot DHCP server hands out by defining DHCP -> Excluded IP (that way you can map fewer real IP).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm    
Post subject:

If firstspot needs to act as the router, then I think that answers my question.

I'll look into the the map to real ip feature a little more.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: