SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

xbox360 / nat / uPnP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleckfield

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:49 pm    
Post subject: xbox360 / nat / uPnP

Hi,

Weve sucesfully rolled out a firstspot gateway accross a charitable site, consisting of 26 wireless access points (all on 1 LAN) and somewhere around 200-300 users.

The PCs etc. all work ok, as do iPhones/iPads etc...

Weve now hit an issue where we have some people trying to use their xbox360 online through the network but they are getting xbox live errors. Having spoken to microsoft at length about this, it turns out it is likely to be something to do with NAT or uPnP.

I have found the NAT settings, but cant see any option to turn on uPnP with NAT ??

Just so your aware, the xbox is configured as a passive login with its MAC

Is this a limitation of FirstSpot? Or have i overlooked a setting somewhere?
ryanslimmon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 pm    
Post subject:

I've been fighting with this for a while. I actually had a PS3 in the office yesterday and was able to figure some stuff out.

This is how that I have it working currently.

INTERNET -> Hotspot Server (NAT) -> Clients

Hotspot server settings:
- Turn off Client Isolation
- Setup the PS3 (and assuming xbox)'s mac as passive mac login

What i found (yesterday actually), was if I had Client Isolation on, the PS3 would get an ip address and a subnet mask (a /32) but the default router would be 0.0.0.0. When I hit "test connection" i would get a success on the "IP Address" part, but an error on the DNS. My xbox testing a couple months ago had a similar "DNS Error".
Now if I turned off Client Isolation mode, the PS3 will get an IP address, /24 subnet, and the default router. The 2 tests will now complete successfully and the unit has access to the net (ps3 web browser anyway).

I was not able to test the online play as the PS3 that i had did not have an online account. So we are going to get a few of the clients to test. Last night my test guy has a fair bit of upload and download on his counter so I'm assuming that its working.

Right now i'm unsure of the following:
1) Does it work with the online gaming with the extra ports that need to be opened on non uPnP routers?
2) Does it work with multiple units behind it?

Also, i'm not sure if this will work with a router in front of the hotspot server either. From what I can tell, these devices need port forwarding to work on non plug and play routers. So if there is a firewall before the hotspot server, possibly opening the gaming ports and forwarding them onto the hotspot server would work?

Anyway, thats what I found to get it working so far. Any updates, i'll let you know.

Regards,
bleckfield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm    
Post subject:

I have mine on a leased line, the WAN interface of my firstspot box is a public IP, and the internal is a 10.0.0.0/22

Dont use client isolation as this causes issues with our access points (they need to talk to each other and their controller) and arent programmable individually (only via the controller unit)

For some reason 1 of our guys says he can play CoD4 on his xbox, but not CoD6 (MW2) which i find really odd in that i would of thought it would either work or not... no middle ground etc...

Ive bitten the bullet and done the port forwarding on the firstspot box in the NAT settings as a test - just to see if that is indeed the problem.. if it is - not sure how im going to manage potentially 15-20 xbox/ps3 etc... on the network......

Alan - can you confirm that the firstspot really doesnt support uPnP... or if its a feature thats "coming"?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:03 am    
Post subject:

Well, uPnP is not supported within FirstSpot NAT. You might want to turn off FirstSpot NAT (and use your firewall NAT) if you encounter difficulties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: