SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Clients don't get DHCP address when on vlan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 pm    
Post subject: Clients don't get DHCP address when on vlan

Hi' -
having a bit of a problem - got the Firstspot v.6.0.7 -
my setup is the firstspot server (server 2003) and access points is all connected to the same vlan. Only problem is that the clients is not able to obtain a DHCP address.

If I put the server and access points on a switch that is'nt configured with a vlan, the clients gets the dhcp address without any problems.

Have been trying to use both the firstspot dhcpservice and microsoft own dhcp server - both work fine without the vlan - and both don't work when on the vlan. My own conclusion is that it must be the switch (Dlink DES-3226S). But I can't figure out what the problem is ?!.

Is there any body who have any idea how to make this work ?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 am    
Post subject:

Note that DHCP protocol take advantage of the broadcast mechanism in TCP/IP, so in theory the DHCP client and server need to be in the same VLAN in order to work. For FirstSpot case, please make sure the Visitor Network Interface side and the client PC belong to the same VLAN.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 am    
Post subject: vlan

thank you for the reply -

I already checked the configuration of the switch - and the ports where the accesspoint and firstspot server is connected, all belong to the same vlan - the ports are tagged as our "hotspot" vlan.

Might try to get a new network switch, and try to reconfigure it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: