SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

xbox 360 - allowing through firstspot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanslimmon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:45 am    
Post subject: xbox 360 - allowing through firstspot

Ok, I read the posts about the xbox and have already been made. I realize that i need to do a "passive login".

So in order to test it, I find my laptop mac address, enter it into the users with a passive login specifying the mac and save it. I then bring up Firstspot on my management computer to the status screen. Then I take the laptop and attempt to connect to a website. It comes up, and in firstspot I see that it is connected and passing traffic. I then close the web browser on the laptop and force a disconnect from Firstspot. Then on the laptop i open a ping to a device on the other side of Firstspot, success and i can see that the laptop is logged in in firstspot.

So this must be fairly straight forward to setup for devices without a browser.

So I can find my xbox 360 mac address (on the machine and verified by a managed switch). So under users I create a new user with the mac from the xbox. The xbox gets an IP from Firstspot and the dns server comes down as the firstspot server (as per normal).
On the xbox box I select the "test connection" option
It tells me that the "network" is connected, but then fails for the "internet" option. Under more info it tells me that: "dns server can't resolve the names of the xbox live servers or xbox.com". Note: this xbox is plugged into the port that the laptop just was. So I try this:
- setting my xbox dns server(s) to my external dns (confirmed this setup works with the laptop).
- setting my xbox to google's dns servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, (also tried this on the laptop, it works).

So after some reading and hearing about how some people have to port forward xbox's through "non uPnP or non xbox live compliant" routers. I take my xbox mac and put it in the client pass through. I restarted Firstspot and waited 5 mins. Tried the same "test connection" - still DNS Failed messages. So then i added my laptop mac to the client pass through, restarted firstspot. After 5 mins connected with my laptop, i can get on the net.

So now how do i go about allowing xboxs to work behind firstspot? I do have a router in front of the firstspot server as per the security recommendations. My Firstspot configuration looks like this:
INTERNET -> Router (Nat) -> Firstspot -> Clients.

Has anyone been able to get an xbox and firstspot to work?

Thanks,
airlan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am    
Post subject:

Use Client Pass-through in Client Filter instead passive login .
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 am    
Post subject:

You might want to experiment with Port Forwarding since you want the outside Internet be able to access your xbox.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:44 pm    
Post subject:

The problem with client pass-through is now, i can't put them on an account and have it expire. Disabling/enabling the account (or passthrough) now becomes a manual process with a server restart. Whereas with a passive login is just creating a user.

I'll give it a try to see if it works however. Maybe thats how we need to support those devices.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm    
Post subject:

Client Pass-through isn't really designed as a "user". It should be used for static "device" like a printer. So for your case, I still suggest you use "Passive Login"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: