SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Hardware layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:47 pm    
Post subject: Hardware layout

I'm sorry but as I look at your examples for hardware layout, I'm confused.

You are showing routers but then access to the WAN is through a PC?

What are the routers doing?

Can you explain the hardware layout a bit more please?

Jim
jsmiddleton4

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:54 pm    
Post subject: More information

Let me give you a little more information.

We have a small coffee shop. Already have Linksys WAP54G in place connected to router/dsl modem. Using wireless for business needs for office. We wanted to offer a hot spot to our coffee shop customers. But we're not going to compete with Starbucks regarding hardware. Can't do it. We're SMALL. But we're doing okay.

So how do I use the existing wireless hardware and Firstspot?

Jim
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:39 pm    
Post subject:

The simplest setup using FirstSpot for your case will be :

client PC -> WLAN AP (maybe your Linksys AP) -> PC with FirstSpot installed -> a router (optional but recommend for security reason) -> ADSL Modem

Please refer to Scenerio 1 in the "Network Topologies" chapter in the firstspot_guide.pdf (in the trial package) for details. Note that the network topology diagram in the web site applies to a more complicated situtation.

BTW, FirstSpot is designed with independent shop owners' requirements in mind. So we hope our solution can help your daily business.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:14 pm    
Post subject: still a bit confused

I'm sorry but I'm still a bit confused.

While Firstspot isn't a proxy service, what is it? It looks like a fancy internet sharing setup, like Windows ICS.

I understand client to wlan to pc to router (NAT and Firewall protection) to Internet. I don't understand the software setup if it is not a proxy server.

Jim
jsmiddleton4

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:08 pm    
Post subject: more questions

Sorry but I have more questions. I d/l the trial version and am looking at it.

Just how much sql/data base management is there for user account information?

I basically want a system that is minimal in terms of intervention. That is why some of the hardware solutions are appealing. I don't want to have to be massaging a dbase on a regular basis.

If that makes sense.

Jim
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:05 am    
Post subject:

1) Proxy server is tied to specified application (usually the web) and is rather limited. FirstSpot can cater all applications once the user login via the web browser. In terms of network setup, yes the placement is similar to ICS. Just place FirstSpot somewhere between the client and the Internet. Note software/hardware like ICS is not design for Hotspot management and it has no tracking/authentication/security built in it.

2) you don't need to touch the database (dbase if you use our default datasource) directly. You can manage the users completely using our web-based Configuration Manager.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:57 pm    
Post subject: help me understand "somewhere"

Thanks for your replies. They are very helpful.

"Just place FirstSpot somewhere between the client and the Internet."

Define "somewhere" for me. It looks like the PC with Firstspot on it has to be the connection to the Internet. Its not just somewhere in the path, it is the last step in the path before the net. Is that correct?

Which is why I used ICS as being similiar.

Jim
jsmiddleton4

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:18 pm    
Post subject: I think I'm down to my last few questions.

I think I'm down to my last few questions.

How does this thing work for clients? What are the steps if I walk in, buy a cup of coffee, sit down with my lap top and hit the internet icon?

The laptop wireless need to be set to dynamic dhcp? Router set to broadcast ssid? Laptop set to let Windows manage its wireless connection? Who generates, or how do passwords, get generated?

Stuff like that.

Something like an instruction sheet of board with steps on it on the wall of the coffee shop so customers can follow the steps to log on to the hotspot wireless?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:09 am    
Post subject:

Regarding your network topology, just check out scenerio 1 of Network Topologies chapter of the firstspot_guide.pdf.

For FirstSpot Server and WLAN AP side, several observations:
1) SSID is usually broadcast for Hotspot. Keep in mind that if you hide the SSID, you need to give out the SSID through some other method. Usually you will turn off WEP as well.

2) You can pre-create the account via configuration manager or the bulk user create utility ( http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136 ). The alternative method will be to take advantage of FirstSpot's self-sign up feature.

The client instruction sheet will be:

1) Obtain the pre-create "username/password" from the shop
2) Client set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"
3) The wireless client can use either Windows XP or the wireless card utility to manage their wireless connection.
4) Once the wireless client successfully "attached" to the WLAN AP, the client needs to go to any valid web site. They should see the greeting page. Once they successfully login, they can surf the Internet (including other applications such as email, IM, etc...) as usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: