SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Hardware vs S/W solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:27 pm    
Post subject: Hardware vs S/W solution

I have been evaluating a hardward AP/Hotspot solution against the FS solution. I believe the FS solution is best for a lot of reasons, but I did get the below info. from the hardward vendor that indicates a change to their s/w so that customers can access a device on the network.....without allowing all devices on the network to be see/used/accessed.

Can this be made to work on FS s/w so that we can set up a printer that can be used on both public/private networks.....securely?

==========
Shared Network Resources – You can define certain network devices to be free from Layer-2 isolation. This allows you to share servers, printers, and other devices for all hotspot customers to use.
=============

Thanks,
Frank
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:36 am    
Post subject:

I guess you would like to, say, add a printer to be used by your hotspot users that have authenticated; while keeping that printer away from those before a successful login?

You can simply put the printer on the same network segment as FirstSpot public interface. Users can only use it after authentication.

Or if you want your hotspot users to use that printer even before they have authenticated, you can put that printer's ip address into the exception/free web site list - you will see that tab inside Configuration Manager. That list works for any ip or domain name; not neccessarily be a web site though.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:41 am    
Post subject:

please also check out our FAQ at http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/faq.php (especially point 6) for more comparision between software and hardware Hotspot solution

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:00 pm    
Post subject: Printers

Hi Guys,

I have some inout on this...we too needed a wifi printer solution for our wireless (FS) cafe guests....here's what we did. We went to a retailer and bought a $150 HP Inkjet Printer w/ a WiFi interface in it, which was neato. Then we gave it an IP address in the (Real IP for our Static Pool), then we went into firstspot and made that ip an exception free address. Now the wifi users can print to it and we charge them by hand when they pickup thier prints. Works great for us. What i like about this printer VS any other ethernet`ed printer is that its wifi interface allows us to also let FS give it a DHCP ip address and do the same thing...of course we would have to log in, but thats okay too since the printer ccan serve as a wifi bridge, and we could plug in (one time only assuming no power loss) a notebook into the printers ethernet port, log into firstspot, and since there's always activity on these printers 9They constantly hit the net for updates or God knows what) it would remain connected once we jacked out. Just a thought i tested and it worked. I like the public real world ip solution, with making the ip an free site better though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: