SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

What Ports are Allowed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenitwd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:30 pm    
Post subject: What Ports are Allowed?

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times on this forum, but ...

Once a user has been authenticated through FirstSpot, will they have unrestricted access to the Internet via all ports? I am especially concerned about allowing VPN access.

As a side-note, this would be helpful information to put directly on your website, since there are many products that only turn on some ports (i.e. HTTP, SMTP, and POP).

Thank you,
David
kenitwd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:25 am    
Post subject: Follow-Up Question

Is there a limit to the number of clients that connect using FirstSpot simultaneously? What about the number of logins?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:39 am    
Post subject:

1) Yes, they will have unrestricted access to all application (e.g. http, pop, IM, ...) See Point 8 of our FAQ at http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/faq.php for more information.

2) VPN should work okay. We are doing some additional testing on VPN recently so we should have some more information later

3) Regarding the capacity, it is really depends on hardware. Our internal testing show that the 100base-T Ethernet is more a bottleneck than FirstSpot itself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:20 pm    
Post subject: Bottlenecks

1) Can you go into a little more detail about the limits to the simultaneous connections? For instance, some specific examples of hardware and approximate user limits in a test environment would be great. Or an appoximation to this would be good as well (i.e. 100 users or 1,000 users).

2) I could be wrong, but I don't think any access points have gigabit ports, so 100 mbps would probably be the best between FirstSpot and the AP's. Would it help to put gigabit ethernet between FirstSpot and the Internet connection?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 am    
Post subject:

1) I will send you a performance whitepaper via email

2) For your case, I think 100Mbps should be fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: