SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

How to connect FirstSpot on one subnet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:45 pm    
Post subject: How to connect FirstSpot on one subnet?

I have an internal router, which connects to a firewall; so several subnets on internal router go to Internet. Only one network subnet need use FirstSpot in my situation. I try to put FirstSpot on this subnet. I notice FirstSpot need 2 NICs. Usually they need have different subnet address for each NIC. Can you tell me how to physically connect FirstSpot server into my network and what ip I should setup for this 2 NIC? Please give me an example.

Dose the Wireless client traffic goes through FirstSpot then go through internal router and firewall to Internet?

I have a DHCP server in my network. I am not going to use FirstSpot as a DHCP server. As I understand, I need let wireless client has a default gateway to FirstSpot’ inside port. If I want some PC bypass FirstSpot’s check, can I just let those PC’s default gateway point to my internal router?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:58 am    
Post subject:

Your assumption is correct. Your topology looks like:

. . . ----------->------------>--------->---------------
. . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
Wireless Client -> FirstSpot -> your internal router -> Firewall -> Internet

For the "Public" side of Firstspot (Internet facing), any valid IP will work. You can change it in Windows.

For the "Private" side of FirstSpot (wireless network facing), the default is 10.20.7.1. You need to change in within Configuration Manager.

If you use your own DHCP Server, yes you can change the client's default gateway to your internal router. In that way, FirstSpot should be bypass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:36 pm    
Post subject:

So the traffic is go through FirstSpot? FirstSpot authenticate the user and route the every traffic packet?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:45 pm    
Post subject:

If the traffic goes through FirstSpot (i.e. not through your internal router), FirstSpot first authenticates the users. Once the users enter username/password correctly, FirstSpot will route ALL traffic (Note that FirstSpot is not a proxy, so it will support all Internet appplications).

See http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97 for more discussion on this topics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: