SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Media Connect Status UNKNOWN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:16 pm    
Post subject: Media Connect Status UNKNOWN

Hi all.

I'm evaluating FirstSpot. I got 2.0Beta3 from our distributor in Spain. Unfortunately no 2.1 yet.

Installation went fine, however when i want to start the service through the FirstSpot Configuration Manager i get a message in the Message Window stating: Media Connect Status UNKNOWN

Where to look for the solution? As far as i can see both my network interfaces are up and running.

I have the public interface connected to the LAN, the privatre interface with a cross-over cable connected to my laptop (as i said, i'm still testing).

Regards,

Ton.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:46 pm    
Post subject: Update

I downloaded and installed 2.11. This version has a little bit more descriptive error messages.
It's the Private interface (the one with the cross-over cable) that is complaining.

Ton.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:37 am    
Post subject:

You can put _allow_privateNIC_disconnect=true or _allow_publicNIC_disconnect=true parameter in the [misc] section of config.ini to bypass this check.

Please check out point 8 of "Other issues" in readme.rtf for details.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:26 am    
Post subject:

Can it be that the following is happening:

Service is starting
Brings the Private interface which is connected to the laptop with a cross-over cable is brought down and back up.
The laptop detects that this interface is down (as in not connected), send an alarm and brings the interface of the laptop in disconnected state.
In the mean time the interface of FirstSpot wants to be brought up again but detects the interface ofthe laptop being down.

Can this be the confusion or am i talking nonsense?

Added _privateNIC_disconnect=true to the config.ini and now i have the problem that the service won't come up because Routing and Remote access cannot be started due to failing dependencies.

I will look after this later this day.

Ton.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:37 am    
Post subject:

The "brought down and back up" action is normal.

You need to fix the Routing and Remote access (RRAS) problem in your Windows. As a test, try to start it before starting FirstSpot to see whether there is any error (you should not get any error message).

Once you finished the test and the RRAS can start without errors, you need to make the RRAS service "Stopped" and "Manual" before starting FirstSpot (since FirstSpot will try to start it itself)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:05 pm    
Post subject:

Hi Alan!

THanks for your help. At the end it turned out that the PC i was installing FirstSpot on had faulty hardware.
I installed it on another PC and works like promised.

Thanks for the help,

Ton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: