SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Problem with speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberElements

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:19 am    
Post subject: Problem with speed

I'm having problems with my system. Its on a Celeron 2.93 Ghz with 1gb ram, and only windows xp pro sp2. but its extreemly SLOW when connecting ot it - and i have throttling turned off. 90% of the time i have to hit refresh to get the log in screen, and when trying to get to sites, it says can't find, i hit refresh and it finds it... this is very disturbing, since I just purchased it. I'm ona 1.5 meg dsl conenction and only computer using it is the server and my lalptop connecting to it.

Please what can I do, I don' want to think i wasted $895 on this program.
Ellensburg, WA USA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:59 am    
Post subject:

Definitely some setup issues. Looks like something wrong with routing.

Please be more specific on your issue. In particular:

1) What are the steps to reproduce the problem? What web site do you try to access? Any error messages?

2) Do you have the same problem in the trial version?

3) Do you have the same problem if you install FirstSpot trial version in other machine?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:32 am    
Post subject:

1) any website, i've even tried to type in the 10.20.0.7 (or whatever it is by default). it takes approxamitly 2-3 min till it lets me see the "login screen" . Mind you i get the IP immediately and such, just takes that much time to be recognized by FS.

1 a) and any website there are times it is quicker but 99.995% it takes atleast one - two "refresh's " to get it to go on the right site.

2) yes I did, figured was part of the trial issue.

3) don't have any other machine to try it on. its a brand new machine, only 3 months old (not even 3 months).
Ellensburg, WA USA
CyberElements

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:38 am    
Post subject:

suppose i can once again re-format my system and try it again. AS far as routing being the potential issue... it goes like this:

DSL --> "In Port NIC"-->First Spot program --> Out Port NIC--> Linksys un-managed switch-->Dlink DWL-2700AP (Broadcast Point). I've not setup the "big equptment" yet (Cisco Equipment), till I get the T1 next week. Hoping to get this resolved by then.
Ellensburg, WA USA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:11 am    
Post subject:

So you connect FirstSpot to the DSL directly? We need to you put a NAT router (being a PPPoE client) between FirstSpot and your DSL modem. It also improves the security.

If you still have difficulties, please post the ipconfig/all output of your FirstSpot machine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:19 am    
Post subject:

SO it needs to go from DSL Modem ( which is a wireless dsl modem / router on its own) to look like this:

DSL--> Router-->computer (FS)-->AP?

I would post that if I knew how to get it from the Dos prompt to this screen....i saved it sa a paint file... i'll email it to alan.

Also a note: the speed on the server out to the net is "normal"...I wonder if th e"throttling" maybe goofed up... can you explain the 3 different speeds...maybe i'm misreading them... which one is the fastest for the client? and which one is the slowest.

that could be causing it right htere if I have it setup wrong.
Ellensburg, WA USA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:29 am    
Post subject:

I received your ipconfig/all (BTW, you can copy-and-paste from the command prompt, just mark the text with a mouse and press right button). The public side (i.e. IN) looks quite strange. How comes there are 3 DNS? Can you verify:

1) which DNS are you actually using? You can use nslookup command
2) the connection to Internet for the FirstSpot machine is still okay after FirstSpot is started?

Since you mentioned that your DSL modem is a wireless modem/router, FirstSpot should work by connecting directly to it. Note that the wireless function is not used in your DSL modem/router.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:04 am    
Post subject:

Ok, i believe that the dns and such come directly from the modem/router. Yes the wireless is turned off. and yes the firstspot is always running, and internet works just beautifull in speed and such, its only from the AP/client side its slow.

I'll try the nslookup command (hoping all i type is nslookup) i think they have 3 dns servers cause the local telco has issues with their dns servers going down. which is why i am getting a T1 from someone else.
Ellensburg, WA USA
CyberElements

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:37 am    
Post subject:

ok i just tried to login (as client) was unable to bring up the login screen...however was able to login to the configuration manager. I restarted the service, and was able to login shortly. However as usual, if not worse, is the huge lag, and constant having to refresh after it says "page can not be found"..after hitting refresh several times. What do you suggest? Its a fast enough system...is very frusterating.
Ellensburg, WA USA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:59 am    
Post subject:

There are 2 points that might fail:

1) DNS - I am still waiting for your nslookup result
2) routing - as a test, try to access a web site using IP directly. E.g. 17.254.3.183 for apple.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:13 am    
Post subject: Feeling Stuipd (again)

Well I tried something, I turned off FS, turned off my modem/router, unpluged it while I turned off my server.

Turned back on computer/server, then pluged in modem/router, then powered it on, let it get all its info to the computer, THEN started FS. All be damned if it doesn't work correctly. I sent you an email with the IPCONFIG's of before & after FS they didnt' change, however the entire numbering on the IN did!

I was unable to test the Paypal/CC thing cause I didn't have a credit card w/money on it yet. will test it tomorrow...but i'm sure it works just fine now.

Sorry for bothering you once again...bet you'll be glad once its all up & running and i'm outa your hair :)

Tim
Ellensburg, WA USA
CyberElements

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:23 pm    
Post subject: after reset to fix speed paypal not working

Hey guys,
after i reset everything (ie router fs and server) the paypal does not notify the server about the transaction. I am posting my ccdata to show the difference. the paypal_trn only shows the transactions BEFORE the reset. i do have the ports 5789-5789 forwarded to the server, also the firewall is turned off on the router. I'm going live in 4 days and a bit nervous. please help.

INVOICE USERNAME ITEM_NAME AMOUNT PLANNAME QUANTITY ORDER_DATE CURR PAY_STATUS PENDREASON PAY_DATE TXN_ID PAY_TYPE FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME PAYEREMAIL PAYER_ID TXN_TYPE SUBSCRDATE SUBSCR_ID METHOD TIMELEFT BTUL BTDL BWQUOTA BWCOUNT BWQUOTAUL BWCOUNTUL SDATE EDATE LOGINS EMINUTES STATUS STARTMOD AUTO_DEL BWRMETHOD BWRPERIOD LASTRBW BWRDATE
1 'eburgdad' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1138773023 'USD' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL 50 50 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2 'test2' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1139708576 'USD' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL 50 50 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
3 'test' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1139711000 'USD' 'Completed' NULL '18:24:35 Feb 11 2006 PST' '3EV14259R4294692J' 'instant' 'Brenda' 'Reed' 'eburgdad@elltel.net' 'SVED7BCV3JMYU' NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL 50 50 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
4 'test1' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1139783608 'USD' 'Completed' NULL '14:34:32 Feb 12 2006 PST' '4X672477NJ9201113' 'instant' 'Brenda' 'Reed' 'eburgdad@elltel.net' 'SVED7BCV3JMYU' NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL 50 50 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
5 'Tim' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1140581038 'USD' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
6 'Tim' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1140581141 'USD' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
7 'jamesmsmith' '***Staff Use Only***' '1.00' '7 Day' '1' 1140762328 'USD' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 'paypal' NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL 10080 0 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

Jamessmith account is the one that was unsuccessfull. however paypal does have the money. thanks for any help

Tim
Ellensburg, WA USA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:54 am    
Post subject:

So does this work before you reset the router?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:36 pm    
Post subject:

yes it did, but we had the speed (or lack there of) issue. So it makes me think its something in the router itself.. But i have a 5780-5790 forwarded to the server, and 5789 as well. and the firewall is DISABLED.

So i am stumped.

Going ot upgrade to full version 4.0 tonight after work.
Ellensburg, WA USA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:58 pm    
Post subject:

I still think it is your router configuration issue. You can double-check the fact that the PayPal packets are coming to your FirstSpot correctly by using Ethereal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: