SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Testing FirstSpot (connecting PC with a crossover cable)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:54 am    
Post subject: Testing FirstSpot (connecting PC with a crossover cable)

I follow chapter 2 i) of the firstspot_guide.pdf (using a crossover cable to connect a client test PC to FirstSpot Private Network Interface), but I am unable to start FirstSpot (as suggested in step a.)
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:11 am    
Post subject:

There is a documentation error in the firstspot_guide.pdf. The correct steps should be :

a. Start your client device test PC (i.e. second PC) FIRST since FirstSpot needs to detect a connection in the Private Network Interface.

(Note that even if you somehow force FirstSpot to start, it may not function correctly. Keep in mind that in the real deployment situation, the Private Network Connection will almost certain to have a connection first since it should connect to a switch or a bridge-mode AP instead of a PC via crossover cable.)

b. Goto web-based Configuration Manager to start FirstSpot (username:firstspot, password:password). After you start FirstSpot successfully (you should see the word "STARTED"), you need to obtain a new IP address for the client PC.

For Windows 2000/XP/2003, issue commands:
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew

For Windows 98/ME, issue commands:
ipconfig/release_all
ipconfig/renew_all

Continue to step i) c. in the firstspot_guide.pdf
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:41 am    
Post subject:

For people download the trial after November 6, 2003, the firstspot_guide.pdf will be fixed

(the date in the first page of the firstspot_guide.pdf should be November 6, 2003 or later)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: