SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DHCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kipcrist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:08 am    
Post subject: DHCP

After extensive attempts at making Proxy ARP and Real-IP Mapping work with FirstSpot, we've found that there have been minor problems that have limited us from using either. Our next attempt towards making this work is setting up the Cisco Router (gateway to the T1 line) to be the DHCP service.
Internet-->Cisco 2811-->FirstSpot-->Users

If we disable the DHCP service on FirstSpot and enable it on the Cisco, this will correctly hand out usable real IP addresses to our clients, right?

The other concern we have is that we have statically assigned some local (10.20.7.X) IP addresses to some of our customers. These assignments will have to stay as is; so will they still be able to use the internet? I'm assuming yes, and that they would just use the WAN IP of the FirstSpot machine instead of an assigned one from DHCP, right?

We are really looking forward to making this work, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
kipcrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm    
Post subject:

I've enabled DHCP on the Cisco Router to hand out public IPs. This is working successfully when directly connected to the Switch. However when connecting through FirstSpot we are unable to get IPs.
On FirstSpot, I disabled DHCP but left NAT on. There are no IPs assigned. When a static IP is assigned (local, not public) everything works. If a public IP is assigned, it does not work.
Am I missing something to make this work?
As a service provider, we need to be able to assign public IPs to each customer individually. Using the DHCP service on the WAN router, this is certainly possible. However, it seems as though FirstSpot is limiting this connectivity. Is there any way to simply have FirstSpot function as a transparent bridge?
airlan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 am    
Post subject:

Have you try to insert Cisco IP in free website in Firstspot ?
kipcrist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:11 pm    
Post subject:

Ok. So the setup is now as follows:
Cisco router has NAT turned on to allow for the computers that still have static private IPs to use the network.
Cisco router has DHCP enabled which hands out public IPs to users obtain their IP through DHCP.

I disabled NAT and DHCP on FirstSpot. We had no connectivity when FirstSpot was started up.

Someone from PatronSoft have a suggestion?
kipcrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:34 am    
Post subject:

hello?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: