SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

RADIUS support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlarra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:31 pm    
Post subject: RADIUS support

Hello, I am testing the product, and I am interested in using it for the centralized network configuration.

The question is if there is any possibility of using RADIUS validation instead of ODBC database for username and password. In the case ther is the possibility of using RADIUS, can I do accounting also in the RADIUS ?

If there is no possibility of using Radius, is there an accounting of use by customers ? and is there the possibility of establishing times of use for usernames, it would be for selling pre-paid cards with a limit of time for Internet access, and in that case the username would be the code number in the pre-paid card.

Thanks,

Diego Larraņaga
[Company name hidden for privacy reason]
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:48 pm    
Post subject:

The short answer is, even without having a RADIUS server, FirstSpot provides pretty much all the features you've mentioned.

FirstSpot has the concept of air time credit, where you can pre-assign certain number of minutes for each users. Consumption of the hotspot service will decrease a user's credit accordingly.

User log also provides timestamp and duration of a particular user access of the hotspot service.

You can also have different FirstSpot talking to a centrazlied database (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL, etc). No RADIUS is needed. Many of our customers are running happily with this topology.

Unless you're an ISP that already has a RADIUS server, you don't really need that. For many cases, a RADIUS server actually complicates your setup and requires additional hassle in maintenance.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
dlarra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:33 pm    
Post subject: Another question

Dear Karl,
I am having trouble getting my trial installation running. I have a W2000 professional with SP 4 and 2 network cards, and I first install the Apache that comes with the trial, then the PHP, and modify the httpd.conf (and do restart of the service) of Apache, and finally run the setup.msi, and everything seems to install perfectly, with no error messages, but when I try to access the Configuration Manager, I get " Page Not Found " message.
I tried doing a telnet to port 5787 and it is closed, so I think something about the configuration of apache by Firststop is missing, by I cannot find what is it.
Any idea what can it be ?

Thank you very much.

Diego L.
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:01 am    
Post subject:

You don't need to run the setup programs of Apache and PHP manually, you should run the setup.msi (of FirstSpot) directly, which will cater the installation of all components (Apache, PHP, DHCP, etc) for you.

To revert what you've done, the ideal case would be getting a freshly installed OS (your Win2k with SP4 is prefect fine) and run setup.msi.

Or you may also try to uninstall Apache and PHP manually. But please make sure they have been removed cleanly.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
guybw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:32 am    
Post subject: Running before you can walk.

In responce to the person before.
Follow the manual, its really tells you how to install everything.
I setup first spot many times, and it takes about 3-4 mins tops. Infact I am using firstspot over 10 km's away from where the firstspot server is!
As for telnet? Why are you telneting to that port?! simply install setup.msi and follow the instructions. I promise you if you follow it TOTALLY it will NOT fail you. I run windows 2003 and it works perfect but I have had it running on windows XP and 2k.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: