SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

What would happen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberiaWiFi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:21 am    
Post subject: What would happen?

What would happen if we "reset" the database using the reset bttn, while some users were logged on? (Okay, i did it, i admit it.) it seemed to mess up the sync with the odbc drivers but all is fine now, after stopping and restarting the service. thats normal right?
Also: How does firstspot decide which ips to hand out to dchp clients? I mean, it seems to be random, which is great i think, but is it possible it would give out an ip i had manually set for a client that was having issues getting one through dchp? Is there a way to exclude those from the ip pool it pulls from? Or is there a range i could safely use to mke sure there are no conflicts?
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:34 am    
Post subject:

1) press the reset button will kick out all users and might create some inconsistency in the current FirstSpot session. But after restarting FirstSpot, everything should be fine.

2) The DHCP will hand out IPs at random. Alternatively, you can use Static DHCP Mode which allows you to create a static IP-to-MAC mapping. We are considering incorporating the excluded IPs features in the future version but no final decision has been made yet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:05 am    
Post subject: Exclude ips

this would be a wonderful feature, since we plan to impliment firstpot to handle both deticated users and roaming wifi users completely unattened thru paypal, etc. that way we would not have network conflicts, etc. I wuld highly recomend this feature guys, i totally could use it. What if i have the users specify thier ip, then map that ip via mac address? wOULD THAT EXCLUDE THEN FROM EBING PULLED RANDOMLY AND REUSED BY ACCIDENT?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:18 am    
Post subject: One other thing...

Alan, can you advise on the correct setup for this:

We have several access points, i gave them all 10.20.7.X ips, since they need ips and default to 192.168.0.X normally. I ranged them from .80 to .90 now could firstpot as it is now try to assign one of those ips to a client, hence crashing the network? is there another way i should have set it up?

Further, for our long range customers (Only 3 at the moment) we have special access points (CPE or customer premisis equipment) basically a high gain antenna, amp and wifi card all in one....these units also require a ip on our subnet, so i gave them 10.20.7.175 and then you have to give the computer they are plugged into an ip too, (The computer(s) are plugged into this device directly or to a hub perhpas) so i gave the computer a 10.20.7.176 now it all seems to work just great, but from what i understand your saying, i should NOT do this is DHCP is enabled on firstspot? hence i would always need to get the users MAC address before they attempted to get on our wifi service? That would be very bad and cause tons of issues for us....i like the idea of making and 'excluded' group or somehow being able to tell firstpot NOT to use ip x,y,z because it was being used by manual assignment.

As i siad, our current setup as listed above seems to be working great, but i want to allow for dchp to be used for users that try to get online when we're not open, automatically attended, etc.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:45 pm    
Post subject:

It seems that adding "excluded IP" feature in FirstSpot DHCP Server is the best solution (IP-MAC static mode works, but a bit more overhead).

We are thinking about adding this feature soon. One other thing we are discussing internally is whether to add this in Standard or Advanced Edition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: