SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

iOS 6 Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 am    
Post subject: iOS 6 Problem

We have got a problem with Apple iOS 6.
Wenn the User Logs on with his Username the Logon disappears and Logonsite is beeing kept. When Users try to access the internet they have no access.

I hope i explanained it right and you understand what i mean.

the Problem only exists with iOS 6 with iOS 5 everything works fine.
I hope you can help me.

Kind regards
Mathias
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 am    
Post subject:

We re-test the current FirstSpot v7.0.9 with iOS6 and cannot find any issue. Please double-check the following:

1) Make sure you update to the current v7. In particular, starting from v7.0.8 FirstSpot supports iOS Captive Network Support. See http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2996 for more information.

It seems that this iOS6 Captive Network Support now works with encrypted AP while the older iOS version Captive Network Support only triggers if the AP is open (unencrypted). We still need to confirm this.

2) Make sure your Settings -> Safari -> Accept Cookies is set to "From visited" (which is the default value). Note that FirstSpot is designed to work with the default setting of client devices.

3) During our test, we encounter intermittent AP attachment problem unrelated to FirstSpot. See http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57521212-37/ios-6-users-continue-to-grapple-with-wi-fi-problems . You might need to manually select (attach) your AP from time to time.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:03 am    
Post subject:

More explanation on iOS Captive Network Support:

Starting from FirstSpot v7.0.8, FirstSpot is fully compatible with iOS Captive Network Support. The idea is that once the iOS device (iPhone or iPad) attach to the AP successfully (if the AP is encrypted, you need to enter the WEP or WPA password correctly), the FirstSpot login screen will be automatically shown (i.e. you don't need to go to Safari separately). You need to enter the FirstSpot credential correctly in this screen, or the iOS device will detach from the AP automatically.

Once you enter the FirstSpot credential correctly, you should be shown the FirstSpot redirect screen (this behavior will vary a bit depends on iOS version). At this point, you will be able to surf the Internet through FirstSpot.

Couple of things to note:

1) For FirstSpot version older than v7.0.8, the iOS Captive Network support is untested and unpredictable, and it is not officially supported.

2) As FirstSpot works purely in TCP/IP level, the iOS devices need to attach to the AP correctly first before even reaching FirstSpot. Any issues for attaching the iOS devices to the AP is unrelated to FirstSpot.

Last edited by alan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
bdavis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 pm    
Post subject:

We are experiencing a similar issue running v7.0.9, with ios6 devices.

On the iPad, when joining the AP, the logon screen is automatically presented to the user, but once the username/password is entered, the captive logon screen remains with a white background and the only option is to cancel. If I then look at the wifi settings, it appears that the iPad has dropped the wireless connection. Devices that were enabled with MAC address binding that was enabled prior to the ios6 upgrade continue to operate without issue, it only affects new signups on ios6 iPads. If the user can get to Safari and uses the safari sign screen before captive capture launches, they are able to browse as normal.

I hope this helps.

Thansk,
Brian
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:46 pm    
Post subject:

Do you encounter similar issue with iPhone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm    
Post subject:

No, iPhones will completely process the ios captive logon and you see the info box with a done button at the top. It only appears to affect iPad users.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you for your information. Can you also email us your config.ini file at firstspot@patronsoft.com? We want to double-check some settings.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm    
Post subject:

Brian,

Please perform this workaround. Go to Configuration Manager -> UI Customization, uncheck "Show InfoBox", and then perform the same iOS6 iPad test again to see whether the situation improves.

Thanks again.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:13 pm    
Post subject:

Another workaround one can do is to simply go to the file uatoken.csv under FirstSpot directory, change:

iPad,s

to

iPad,i

This will change the iPad login page to iPhone style. It will look a bit strange, but it should work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm    
Post subject:

thanks alan..
disable the show infoBox helped for me
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:52 pm    
Post subject:

Matze, so you have problem with iPad only (but not iPhone) with iOS6, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm    
Post subject:

the customer told me that his Guests had the problem with iPhone and iPad.
But he could only test it with an iPad becaus no iPhone with iOS 6 was available.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks for the information. What version of FirstSpot are you currently using?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 pm    
Post subject:

Version 7.0.9
Matze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 pm    
Post subject:

i think it is 7.0.9 but i have check this....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: