SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Proving the real identity of HotSpot service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:18 pm    
Post subject: Proving the real identity of HotSpot service

I know this may sound elementary, but I just want to be sure as I am new to HotSpot security.

I see where the DHCP log shows the MAC and IP obtained with date/time stamps. If I offer free service, how can I BEST pin that MAC address to the real person using it? If I offer free HotSpot services, I don't believe a Radius server will provide me the 'real' information, but only an account name and password that was used to authenticate. I have to assume a cybercriminal wants to use my HotSpot for malicious activity. I also have to assume the criminal might use either a common username/password for free access, or the criminal overhears someone's username/password.

I have FirstSpot functioning properly. I'm running the trial on an XP Home PC with 2 NICs: 1 NIC connected to a switch, then AP. The 2nd NIC to a Netgear router, then DSL modem. All works well. I just want to beef up the security now so that in case we get served a subpoena, we can help identify the person that used MAC AAAA.AAAA.AAAA and IP x.x.x.x rather than just have their MAC and IP only.

If there's a way to do this, while offering Free HotSpot to customers, that would be great. I don't want to respond to the law by only offering a MAC and IP, if possible. Thanks for any assistance!
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:50 pm    
Post subject:

The user log contains the client IP, MAC and username.

But the more important information in is the URL Tracking. It records all the sites a particular user visits. This should be enough information for your law enforcement officials to track down the offenders.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 pm    
Post subject:

Alan,

Thank you! I will go through those options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: