SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DNS Problem within Firstspot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm    
Post subject:

There is probably a problem in the FirstSpot DNS (didn't I say "might"?). But your test doesn't help the situation. Again, we need the nslookup output (that shows there is an error).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm    
Post subject:

Sorry, but I don't think it is up to me to do your testing for you. I reported what I believe to be an error within Firstspot, and I found a work-around that bypasses the Firstspot DNS server that is likely causing the problem. That really puts an end to my involvement in this issue, and it would be up to you guys to do the testing and find a solution for the problem.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:22 am    
Post subject:

We will look into this problem. If you enconter this error again, please make sure you capture the client nslookup (set d2) output. It will certainly help us to narrow down your issue.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 pm    
Post subject:

BTW, what is your Windows version and SP that FirstSpot currently installs on?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm    
Post subject:

I have Firstspot running on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

I'll try to capture a nslookup if the problem happens again but I doubt I will be able to do it. As I mentioned, I changed the Visitor Network DNS IP and I now never see this error. Plus, even if I change back to the Firstspot DNS server IP, it always finds the correct site when you hit the "Try Again" button, so if I get an error and then do a nslookup, I suspect it will see this as a "Try Again" and not show any error. It is almost as if Firstspot has fallen asleep and needs a nudge with the second attempt.

Glad to see you are now looking into this. If I can provide further information, I would be happy to do so.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm    
Post subject:

Can you recall when was this problem first appears? In particular, did you change any setting just before this problem appear?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:08 pm    
Post subject:

I changed to a new machine running Windows 7 on April 19 and, if I remember correctly, I upgraded to the latest version (6.0.6) at the same time. The problem started immediately after that.
No, I did not change any settings from the default.
Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:07 am    
Post subject:

Well, here we go again. I set up Firstspot on another new machine this weekend and the exact same old DNS problem showed up.
The problem is that when the Firstspot Host is configured in the DHCP category to use the (DEFAULT) DNS server IP 0.0.0.0, client machines get numerous "Cannot find Server" error messages when browsing the internet. If the Preferred DNS server IP for the Visitor Network is changed to any external DNS server IP the problem disappears.
This has now occurred on 2 new Firstspot Host machines, on 2 different ISP networks. The problem MUST be a glitch within Firstspot.

Alan, have you made any progress in determining the cause of this Firstspot problem????
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:40 am    
Post subject:

So again, did you mange to capture a nslookup output?

Also, make sure there is no firewall and other low-level software enabled in your Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:39 pm    
Post subject:

So again, "it always finds the correct site when you hit the "Try Again" button, so if I get an error and then do a nslookup, I suspect it will see this as a "Try Again" and not show any error."
Nslookup is NOT going to be any assistance in finding the cause of this glitch.

As I understand it, the only thing that is really affected by using an external DNS server is the 'Logout' button on the Infobox. Is there any way around this? i.e. is there a way of re-directing the 'logout' command ?
Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:45 pm    
Post subject:

Also, in regard to a firewall or low-level software being enabled, there is none. As I have mentioned numerous times before, the ONLY thing that causes this problem is using the Firstspot default DNS Server IP 0.0.0.0

As soon as the Preferred DNS server IP for the Visitor Network is changed to any external DNS server IP the problem disappears, and NO other changes are made.
Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:26 pm    
Post subject:

Sorry, I mentioned the "logout" button in the Infobox, I meant typing "logout" in the browser address bar. My mistake. Is there any way around this so that this would still work even though the Preferred DNS Server IP is set to an external DNS Server?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:54 am    
Post subject:

Sorry, no. You need to use FirstSpot DNS server for Instant Keywords to work.

From your symptoms, it looks like the DNS server works but not very responsive. As FirstSpot DNS server is just a relay, it relies on the stability of your backend DNS server. Please set your Internet Network Interface DNS to one entry ONLY, and then restart FirstSpot.

If you still have difficulties, we need the nslookup output (issued from both client and FirstSpot) to make further diagnosis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 pm    
Post subject:

OK, thanks.
If the only thing affected by using an external DNS server is the Instant Keywords, then I guess I'll just stick with that. It isn't worth the trouble to try to figure out what Firstspot is doing wrong to cause this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: