SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Real IP Mapping ignored?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
support@cvinternet.net

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:48 am    
Post subject: Real IP Mapping ignored?

Under Shopping Cart, why does it say it will ignore Real Ip Mapping?

Cart management
- Reminder -
The following plan's properties will be ignored:

3. Real IP address mapping.

When a user self signs up I create a new user that expires immediately and DOES NOT have real IP mapping service. I then add a shopping cart plan that DOES include real IP mapping and the time is added but the real IP mapping value is not updated. My question is: why does it ignore Real IP mapping? If I manually enable Real IP mapping it works fine, why can't I enable this with a shopping cart plan?

Thanks!
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 am    
Post subject:

Well, the idea is that you shouldn't need to "buy" the Real IP feature. The user can be initialized with the Real IP attributes initially (e.g. via self sign-up Plan).

Is is possible you initialize the user with the Real IP attribute, and then "activate" the user using other attribute like Access Minutes?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:17 pm    
Post subject:

I tested this idea and it does not seem to work. Here is what I did:

1) No self sign up plan, access minutes set to unlimited (aka blank)

2) Tried to visit yahoo.com (not in free sites)

3) Captive portal grabs traffic. Created username:test with password: testpass. I am then forwarded to the shopping cart.

4) If I stop right there without paying and type in www.cnn.com (not in free sites) and then log in with test/testpass I just created in step 3 I am off and running on cnn.com without paying.

When I look at users section of config I see the suspend condition NEVER is checked because of the initial access setting of unlimited that I set in the authentication server section. The only way I can see that I do not get free access using this method is to create a self sign-up plan as recommended in http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2765. This self sign up account is set to expire after 0 minutes (time on the clock, not access minutes) and expire at a date and time in the past. So, when I then repeat step 4 above in this scenario the captive portal grabs the traffic and brings me to the shopping cart because the account is expired due to expiration date in the past. If I then purchase a plan for 1 day, 1 week or 1 month on the clock it updates the account just fine and works, I just cannot specify a REAL IP.

We will have several hundred simultaneous users during certain days of the year and do not want to set up public Ips for direct assignment. I only want to allocate 30 or so public IPs and use REAL IP mapping for those that want to pay a little extra for this service (we are an ISP).

So, I am stuck. I can have a secure functional wifi system using a self sign up plan and separate shopping cart plan but I lose the ability to use REAL IP mapping. If I use just a shopping cart plan I can have control of the REAL IP mapping but anyone who plays around at all can easily figure out how to bypass payment and get free service.

What am I missing? Any more ideas?

Thanks!
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm    
Post subject:

In step 1, can you set "Initial access minutes for self sign-up users" to 0 (instead of blank)? This should force the end users to pay immediately right after the initial login.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:27 pm    
Post subject:

That doesn't work because I don't have access minutes in any of my plans, I want to use time on a clock instead (aka expires after 1 day, 1 week, etc). According to http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2765 you need to set non-used plan suspend values to unlimited values, otherwise it always flagged it as 0 access minutes and keeps bring up the shopping cart. Is there a value I can write to the access minutes field that deems it unlimited or is there any harm in just putting a large number like 9999999 in for access minutes?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:44 pm    
Post subject:

Sorry, I assume you don't attach Plan to self sign-up. In that case, you can set the "Initial access minutes for self sign-up users" to 0.

So you actually need the self sign-up plan since you want to use the "after x minutes/weeks" attribute? Can you confirm?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:00 pm    
Post subject:

You are correct, I want to use after x hours, days, weeks. This being the case I can make it work using the self signup with unlimited access minutes, an expired edate and also expire after 0 minutes. However, I can not make the REAL IP mapping work in this fashion.

I tried my idea for putting a huge integer in the access minutes column of the shopping cart plan along with after x days and a REAL IP and it works. The field that holds that value in the DB must be an 16 bit integer because I can write up to 65535 to the access minutes field and it saves.
If someone keeps their machine on 24/7 moving data that is about 45 days worth of surfing. Since my longest expire after plan is 30 days, I should be good to go.

Can you think of any reason why this won't work?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm    
Post subject:

I am still a bit confused. What do you mean by "can make it work using the self signup with unlimited access minutes, an expired edate and also expire after 0 minutes"?

If you use Shopping Cart Plan with Real IP attribute, the original design is that the Real IP attribute will get ignored. To use self sign-up, my idea is that either:

1) Initialize the self sign-up account using only the "Initial access minutes for self sign-up users" setting. I am under the impression that you somehow make this option works with Real IP though I don't quite understand exactly how

2) Initialize the self sign-up account with Plan (which is different than the above Shopping Cart Plan). In this case, you can initialize username with Real IP attribute and this should work.

BTW, if you really need to use Shopping Cart Plan with Real IP attribute, we maybe able to change it for you. But please explain a bit more on your case (e.g. you plan to use 1 or 2?)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:00 am    
Post subject:

Right now I have it working with a shopping cart plan as follows.

Guest attempts to visit yahoo.com and portal picks up his traffic. User clicks self sign-up link and creates a username and password. The user account is created with Initial Access minutes set to 0 without a self sign up plan so they are immediately passed to shopping cart. At this point the accout exists and the only suspend attribute is access minutes =0 so the account can not be used until something is purchased. User selects a plan from shopping cart, for example 1 day public IP Plan (time on the clock, not access minutes). I have the 1 day public IP Plan set up to set access minutes to 65500 and expire after 24 hours. Real IP mapping is also enabled for this plan. User pays with authorize.net and is sent back to login_select.php page after successful credit card sale. User logs in with account activating it with access minutes set at 65500 and expire after 24 hours suspend conditions. A real IP NAT association is also set up at the same time. Everything is working very well.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 am    
Post subject:

One quick question first, what is the exact version you are currently using for this test?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: